FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:33 pm
YEG USER

Originally Posted by zkzkz
The original fare is not relevant. $850 is $850 for the upgrade regardless of how much was already spent.

If I offer you a coffee for $10 is that a good deal if I already gave you a $10 breakfast for free?

I'm not sure how much an upgrade on YVR-HKG is worth but it's definitely a flight where it's worth something. How much it's worth is independent of how much you've already spent today on other things like your ticket.
I think it depends on your point of view; the base fare could be relevant. I've got a trip planned YEG-YYZ this summer. I've already booked myself in T+, and have booked 2 J aeroplan tickets for family members.

Based on previous posts, it appears that the typical LMU price for this is approximately $300. At the time of booking, the price difference between T+ and Lat is $400. I could book a Lat fare and confirm an upgrade now, but I've decided to roll the dice and try for a LMU. For me, I want to sit up front and am trying to do so in a way where the final all-in price will be lower than if I had bought a Lat fare to begin with. Of course, the possibility of a repeat of last year's special deal where you could use a NAU on T+ fares also entered into my decision making process.