FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex is double charging me for transactions and disputing it - check your statements!
Old May 7, 2010, 11:50 am
divemistressofthedark

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Amex is double charging me for transactions and disputing it - check your statements!

Had posted a thread a while ago about this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-pr-gold.html

but the title isn't quite accurate, since I now know this isn't a problem restricted to the PR Gold product. Just wanted to offer an update, just in case anyone else is going crazy wondering why their statement reconciliation is fouled up. In a nutshell, here's what I just sent to the online CS folks (identifying details changed):

Hi, there's nowhere to select "your billing is in error" from the options offered so I'll use the Dispute Transaction process and see how this works out.

Your system has double charged me for a few purchases. I keep *very* good records - I live in a state with a very high sales tax so I track every penny to be sure I receive the Federal tax credit to which I am entitled. Unfortunately the overbilling seems to exist on two accounts.

I noticed the problem when I went to reconcile my Premier Rewards Gold account on March 4, 2010. My billing was off by a total of $14.20 and I found your system had randomly changed the dates on four of my charges from January and had moved them into December of 2009. The charges I list below appear on my paper statement with the dates I'm listing first, but appear online (in my "recent activity" screen) with the dates I list second.

1-6-10 refund from foo.com ($79.58) changed to 12-31-09
1-2-10 charge for $49.99 from lifeisbeautiful.com changed to 12-31-09
1-6-10 charge from Acme for phone bill ($43.79) changed to 12-30-09
1-6-10 charge of $3.94 (Starbucks) completely disappeared

These four charges combined total out to $14.20. I did not notice a credit to my January statement offsetting these charges, so it appears they were added to my account two times by your system.

These problems seem to be isolated near the end of December 2009. Unfortunately, this month your billing for my Hilton Surpass card is not accurate - my records match yours when it comes to the individual charges, but the amount due is mysteriously too high by $21.85. I notice there's a charge on my Surpass card from December 18, 2009 for that exact amount (the vendor is Sanford and Son of Cary, NC).

I called your 800 number and was essentially told it's not possible my accounting is accurate, or that at any rate you had no way to correct these overcharges - since I'm not disputing individual charges, but the double billing of them. I can provide paper statements and reports from my accounting program proving my numbers are correct.

I've been very satisfied with the service I've received from your company and you'll doubtless see I've been with you for over 20 years. I don't want to have to escalate this issue and the amount in question isn't huge - only $36.05 by my reckoning - but I feel very strongly I shouldn't have to pay twice for duplicate services or merchandise I have not received.

Sincerely,

divemistressofthedark
Nashville, TN
Check those statements, folks. It's enough that we have to ride herd on Hilton points earned - I shudder to think what goes on with the MR program, since we don't get a monthly accounting of what points we've earned from BonusPointsMall.com vs. extra points for gas/grocery etc. But it's really not too cool to have them just calmly double bill you and then not offer a way to easily sort it all out (the 800-number CS agent very nearly told me I must be some kind of mutant to even question Amex' accounting - believe me, I can prove all this.)

On reflection, I'm lucky the dollar amount isn't more and that I keep such good records - I'll undoubtedly notice if they do it again. Although, I guess I would theoretically get more MR and HH points from overbilling...

UPDATE: Online CS writes back, wants more info on the single charge with which I have had difficulty. Clearly they can't process "your computers occasionally make mistakes" on the front line. Sigh. OK, dialing Executive Office now....Hoping this doesn't have to go to Better Business Bureau or lead to me cancelling cards, since I'm generally happy with Amex.

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; May 7, 2010 at 12:44 pm