FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recent changes to MR definition of "nights" on marriott.com?
Old May 4, 2010, 12:29 pm
DillMan

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by socrates
It really varies by jurisdiction but the accounting department at each hotel should be able to tell you the rules for their jurisdiction (I know in the state of MI no one is allowed to refund paid taxes EXCEPT for the state)
Ugh. Really? I'm about to have 4 rooms for 3.5 months in metro DTW and didn't know that. The tax refunds are my little slush fund.

To answer the originally quoted question, I've only run in to a few municipalities that don't offer full refunds after 30, 60, or 90 consecutive nights. Most hotels, even extended stay places, will settle your folio to your credit card every 14 nights or so. When you hit the threshold for the tax abatement, they credit it back to your credit card, however, as socrates pointed out, there are certainly exceptions to this rule as my experience is limited to maybe 25 properties over the last 10 years and you are not only dealing with state taxes but also city/visitor's taxes as well. Phoning the sales department at the hotel is your best bet to get an exact answer. I'd also recommend having them send their answer as a fax so if someone misleads you, you have something to show the GM. In a case like mine (with 4 rooms for 3.5 months), it would be horrible to expect a $10,000 abatement only to find out I'm getting nil.