FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do airlines not offer last minute empty seats cheap?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:05 pm
johntaylorny
Suspended

Why do airlines not offer last minute empty seats cheap?

I understand that part of an airfare is determined not just by supply/demand but also convinience of travel. If someone books 1 day before flight date they pay a ton of money.

But why do airlines not offer empty seats cheap at the last minute? For example let's say there is a 757 going from JFK-MIA and after all passengers check in there are 3 empty seats left. If I show up at the airport and want that flight I'll end up paying $1,200. Why don't the airlines sell those empty seats cheap just to fill them?

If the seats are empty and someone shows up and says they'll offer $200 for them, why do the airlines say "no" and instead of $200 get $0 and keep the seat empty? Isn't something better than nothing? Why would the airline rather get $0 than $200?

We do this all the time at my company. If there are last minute seats and we want to fill them, someone calls and we'll say $x (usually 50% cheaper than anyone else paid) just to fill an empty seat.