FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any suggestions for business/business casual attire for young women (~age 25)?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:52 pm
Kate_Canuck
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Ann Taylor has a nice suit available these days in tropical stretch wool: it comes in black and in "ground pepper" (sort of a taupe, which I bought). I buy online (because I can get points by accessing the AT website through Marriott's online shopping portal and because AT only offers lined wool pants online). Wool wrinkles less than a lot of other fabrics, which is why tropical wool with a bit of stretch is a fixture in my work and travel wardrobe.

A couple of things to avoid if you want to look professional and not like a kid:

1) Flip flops - either at the office or even en route to the office.
2) Visible spaghetti straps (ok to wear a camisole under a cardigan or jacket)
3) Visible underwear
4) Skirts that are shorter than the tops of your knees
5) Super-high heels (e.g., 4" or higher), no matter how expensive they are, tend to make younger women look more decorative and less professional - like they're on their way out for drinks. You can get away with it once you turn 35.
6) If you wear open toe shoes (eg sandals) in summer, make sure you have a pedicure and that your toenail polish is understated - no bright red, purple or blue.

I find Thomas Pink shirts are great for business casual. As long as they're ironed, they make you look very pulled together even without a jacket.

I like Express's Editor pants for travel days (and for days in the office).

Also, if you travel with co-workers or clients, sort out your luggage, carry-on and travel clothes so that you look pulled together, professional (without trying too hard), and can move quickly. Watch "Up in the Air" again and compare Ryan Bingham to Natalie Keener. You don't want to be the person with the giant pink suitcase and neck pillow who has to take off four pieces of jewellery in order to avoid setting off the scanner. Get a light, easy-to-move carry-on suitcase, a laptop bag or backpack that doesn't break your back or shoulders, an easy-to-use flight wallet for cards and boarding passes, and a comfortable but professional travel wardrobe.

If I were putting together a capsule wardrobe for you, I'd suggest the following:

- 2 suits (probably pantsuits)
- 2 pairs of trousers (not chino-type fabric) - something like the Editor pant I mentioned earlier
- 1 pair of somewhat more casual trousers for casual events - chinos, including capris
- 3 shirts that are polished enough to wear on their own without a jacket (e.g., the Thomas Pink shirts I mentioned earlier)
- 2 sleeveless shell tops for layering under jackets
- 2 cardigan sweaters (one black or navy, and something more interesting) for layering over the shell tops or shirts
- A good raincoat that can layer over your suit but isn't too masculine. It can be a bright colour but it should work with the colours of your suits. I have a great one from Rainforest (ruched, packable travel coat)

Last edited by Kate_Canuck; Apr 30, 2010 at 6:01 pm