FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roma Pass and Airport Transportation questions
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:42 am
ssafro1

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Hey! I just got back from 12 days in Italy (Rome, Florence, Siena, Naples, Pompeii, a few other cities). I cannot answer all your questions, but I will take a stab at a few.

As far as transportation.. there are trains that run directly from FCO to Termini. Dont bother with cabs, they are expensive. Train tickets/routings very easy. One thing I would suggest if you are going to be there awhile is buying a week pass for the metro. This is your absolute best/cheapest way of getting around they city. There are 2 lines (red and blue) that cross at termini and bring you withing feet of many of the places you want to see (coliseum, vatican, treve fountain, spanish steps, etc). Instead, you would be paying 1euro per time you use the train. It adds up quickly if you are a tourist who will be jumping on and off around town. You can also buy a 24 hour pass...but I would go with the week. Whichever you chose, you can buy it at the self service machines (which can be put in English)

As far as the Coliseum and Vatican, I did the guided tours. While they are a bit more expensive (I paid 20euro for Coliseum and 40euro for the Vatican City), you get a tour in English and get to skip the lines to get in, which will save you time. Seeing as I was at the Vatican the week after Easter, when the line was over 3hours long by 9am..it worked out quite well). Essentially they let groups (who make reservations) go first before everyone else in the lines. All of the prices included admission.

Pantheon is free and no line. People just walk in and out..not a problem.

Also, you are correct, the forum USED to be free. It is no longer.

You can PM with any other questions. Have fun!