FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Budapest - From Keleti to Ferihegy(BUD)
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:48 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by CAlex
Perfectly right, but your proposed itinerary includes a long walk to change metro lines at deak Ferencs, then a very long walk at Kobanya Kispest from metro platform to bus station, and then a 20min wait for the bus. For the 12 EUR difference in cost I would never bother, unless you travel alone and without any luggage. By 2xmetro and bus you can travel up to 90mins to airport, as opposed to 30min by taxi.

By train from Nyugati still implies changing metro at Deak Ferencs and then train. The train platform is far from the terminal 1, so good 5 minutes walk needs to be considered. Btw, I'm not sure if train goes until Terminal 2, where most airlines depart from. For the ones travelling there the first time, please keep in mind T1 and T2 are VERY far apart, not the usual walking distance from Prague or Warsaw.
All we are doing here is presenting various modes of getting to the airport. It's for the OP to decide what's best for them. I won't take it personally if the OP takes a cab.
Since far is a relative term, I won't dispute your opinion of what's far. No public transport option is going to be devoid of walking. Pointing out the obvious involved in changing metro lines isn't adding to the information. It won't help the OP if you and I argue about what's far or what's more convenient. It all depends on OP's preferences.
Then there is the issue of getting stuck in the traffic. I use public transport whenever I can. I even took the subway from the airport to an interview in
Boston. When I submitted my expense report after the interview, the accounting people came back to ask me if I had forgotten to include the cab fare in my expense report.
As far as going from Keleti to the airport is concerned, for me, there was no extra cost for taking the metro as we had a multi-day ticket. To tell you the truth, I considered taking a taxi as we also had two children, 7 and 2. Hauling the luggage (two suitcases and two carry ons), a stroller and the kids was no easy task. It was an OR problem. One of my carry ons had shoulder straps. I took the suitcase and our older son, holding his hand on the first trip and left him on the upper level with the suitcase. On the second trip, I strapped one carry on to my back, with the other suit case in one hand and the carry on with the folded stroller in the other while my wife carried our younger son. It wasn't easier than a cab.
Clearly, if one has an aversion to walking or to making changes at a metro station, train option isn't for them.
I suppose the wait for the bus at Kobanya Kispest could be 20 minutes, for me, it has never been 20 minutes.