FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wheelchair and Carry-Ons
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:36 am
BurBunny

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Wheelchair and Carry-Ons

I'm facing a new challenge on a couple of upcoming flights. I suffered bilateral PEs from my outbound flight, leaving me with hopefully only temporary reduced lung function. However, reduced it is, and I'm about to begin my flights home in stages.

I've requested wheelchair assistance for transport between check-in and boarding and upon debarking, but have two carry ons, neither of which I can check. One is now packed full of my injectable medications (it's 30 days until I will be in a situation to change to a pill form), and the other with electronics, valuables and other non-checkable items.

What is the best way to deal with this? I'm more than happy to have both bags on my lap (one is an under-seat duffel, the other a rollaboard), but is that appropriate? They do piggy back - can I wheel them beside me so the attendant doesn't have to try to juggle me and my bags?

I wish I could figure another solution, but mid-trip, and with the amount of medication and the space they take, I just don't see one.

Also, I'm entitled to use the international business lounge for my airline alliance. Is it acceptable to be asked to be taken there instead of the gate then request a later attendant to take me to the gate? I'll be arriving quite early to ensure plenty of time, and I'd be much more comfortable in lounge rather than the departure gate.

Your advice is much appreciated.