FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luggage Weight Restrictions for SAA and Nationwide?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:41 am
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
SAA is on a crusade about hand luggage lately. At check-in in CPT my rollaboard was weighed and declared overweight. (The limit is actually 7kg! ) I was allowed to remove my laptop but the bag still weighed 8kg. So I removed my heavy jacket (I was on my way to a very snowy Europe) and then was allowed to proceed to check-in. Needless to say I just put everything back so not sure what was achieved.

When I pointed out that per the rules I was actually allowed 2 bags of 7kg each (in J) the response was that it had to be spread over 2 bags. Again not sure what that achieves. The plane takes off with the same weight but if I only have one bag I take up less space on board.

Same rigmarole when transferring at JNB except that this time they lay in wait at the entrance to the security area. Again removed laptop and jacket ("Oh, it's almost empty now!" exclaimed the luggage police)... and then put them back.

On my return from MUC I took the precaution of packing a small backpack inside my rollaboard so I could instantly turn one bag into 2 if challenged. But, of course, having taken that precaution, I wasn't. Perhaps because I used the desks for rechecking just outside customs.

In the latest Voyager newsletter it has this to say:
In preparation for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Airports Company South Africa (ACSA), in conjunction with domestic airlines, have agreed to implement hand luggage restrictions to ensure a reduction in unnecessary flight delays. The implementation of these restrictions at O.R. Tambo International Airport will be with effect from 20 January 2010 and from 6 February 2010 at Cape Town and Durban international airports. Compliance with these requirements will be verified at security checkpoints at O.R. Tambo, Cape Town and Durban international airports.

The restrictions are as follows

1 bag + laptop for economy class passengers.
2 bags + laptop for business/first class passengers.
Weight of each bag may not exceed seven kilogram.
Total dimensions of each bag may not exceed 115cm, for example 56cm + 36cm + 23cm.
And I can confirm that Comair has now also introduced the same 7kg rule even though BA has no weight limit.