FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Homeless man lives off hotel points from former life
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:50 am
Randy Petersen
Founder of FlyerTalk

Homeless man lives off hotel points from former life

[all too real a situation mitigated somewhat by travel loyalty programs]

Now the former frequent flier from his days working in IT and finance is living off those rewards – airline loyalty programs and hotel points. His clothes and everyday supplies packed into his leased BMW, the single Kennedy stays a few nights here, a few nights there, always running the numbers of how many points he will use and trying to stick to a self-imposed $5-a-day food budget.

His life is up in the air.

"I'm on hold but time keeps going. That part's frustrating," Kennedy said. "I should be in major-dollar earning years and I am losing major-dollar earning years, which I will not get back. That part is frustrating and a little scary."

This week, Kennedy is at the Holiday Inn Express in San Clemente, where he converted his United Airlines miles. He brought down the 7,000 points a night cost to 5,000 by adding $100 for his four-night stay, so it costs him $25 a night. But there's an added benefit because he can expand his food budget with the free breakfast. It's also convenient, as he can drive up the 5 Freeway to get his mail at the Mailboxes Plus in Irvine -- he has a post office box because he has no address. Its here he gets his unemployment checks, which he and 147,000 other jobless people in Orange County are using for survival.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/k...job.html?pic=1