FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Trip to India
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:42 am
vuittonsofstyle

First time in India - from Vuittons

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I am thinking about travelling to India for the first time in October/November. Unfortunately we can't take that much time - maybe 8 or 9 nights. I guess I am looking for a very easy introduction to the country in relative comfort. I want to see some sights, but I do not want to be travelling for hours and that means that only 3 or a maximum of 4 stops would probably be possible. I know that this is a vast country and there are all sorts of different experiences to be had and I am finding the planning slightly overwhelming. I am probably less interested in the big cities and do not need beach time. What would you do?
8/9 days is really short, so my inclination would not be to try and cram in all the usual tourist sights, such as the Taj Mahal. If you enjoy your first experience of India, then you can do that next time around.

What I would do is something slow and relaxing, so that you get to experience the feel of the country, but also begin to see its possibilities.

I know that Aman Delhi is not perfect at this stage, but by October/November, it will provide you with the elements of familiarity and discovery, so I would fly into Delhi and check into Aman Delhi for 2 nights. They will sort out all your sightseeing needs.

Book your airfares direct to India - Virgin, BA or Jet are the best options.

Get Aman to pick you up from the airport, with their VIP service, which works really well.

Book a flight from Delhi to Jaipur with Jet Airways. Or get Aman or Taj to do it for you (they will).

Stay 3 nights at The Rambagh Palace, which is a Taj Hotel. Taj will arrange all your transfers and sightseeing options and will do it much better than any tour operator. Tell them it is your first time - they will be really happy to help you. If you want the direct contact details of any of the GMs, just PM me.

Drive (ask Aman to pick you up) from Rambagh Palace to Amanbagh (around 90 minutes). Stay 4 nights.

Drive back to Jaipur and pick up a flight back to Delhi. Done.

If you have more time, then do a side trip to Jodhpur and stay at Umaid Bhawan Palace, but don't try to do too much. This is the mistake that most people make when they first go to India. Just give yourself time to get the flavour of India. If you enjoy it, then I guarantee you will return.