FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a TV to India - Customs Question
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:47 pm
Mr. Bean

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by yrs
In addition to the following:

- customs duty on value of goods exceeding your allowance yeah, be sure to calculate this as any large screen is likely to go over the allowance
- NTSC tuner on a USA TV vs PAL transmission in India I think this is probably the biggest thing to worry about - will you get PAL signals in your foreign TV?
- voltage and frequency differences most big ticket electronics are 110-220 compatible these days; just need an adapter plug which you can find for ~20 Rs.

it may be better to buy something local. Everything is available in India these days, and buying locally gives you the much-needed after-sales service when needed. I haven't had much luck with getting warranties to cover problems in the past. And I rarely ever have to worry about it since product quality is more stable these days. It would be peace of mind to be covered, sure, but I don't make purchasing decisions based on warranties anymore.

Unless, of course you are able to buy one for Indian specs in the middle east or Singapore/KL.
Are TVs cheaper in SG/KL than in the US? Comparable quality?

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Feb 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm Reason: Removed the thing about family allowance pooling - not possible