FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cellphone/Wireless Store PHL Airport
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:38 am
rittenhousesq

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Wirelessly posted (Palm Treo 650: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Really? Now that you remind me, I realize that suggesting a Verizon store was pretty stupid if an overseas person wants a SIM card, but I would think that it's just because their phone couldnt talk to Verizon's network--not that CDMA phones don't have SIM cards at all. I have a Verizon Blackberry Tour (granted, it is both GSM and CDMA) and it has a SIM card. Other Verizon phones don't? I never knew that.
Standard Sprint and Verizon phones don't have SIM cards. As you noted with your Blackberry, Verizon sells "world" phones which simply have a GSM SIM card added for use in Europe and elsewhere. This is the primary disadvantage of US CDMA networks; they don't work many other places in the world and unlike GSM phones, you can't simply buy an unlocked phone and slip in and out pre-paid SIM cards when you travel.