FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earning preferred Miles
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:58 pm
Bonesaz

Earning preferred Miles

Hi,
I've been reading this board for awhile and just recently signed up, so I am new but not totally clueless I have a few questions regarding earning preferred miles and segments. I'm in Phx, so I've been flying US Air for a few years and even though it doesn't mean much I'm silver this year. My question is I'd like to work towards Gold, Plat or higher, but other than a random bonus where you can get preferred miles it seems all require your to fly First or Envoy. So just looking at the number of miles needed or segments and paying for those classes it's going to cost me a bunch of $$$ to obtain these levels?. Maybe I'm totally missing something and there are hugely discounted fares that qualify, but how do I find them?, I'm trying to learn more about mileage runs but from what I've read they are generally coach fares? So I guess I'm trying to determine if paying for those qualifying fares is worth obtaining the elite status.

Currently I fly international about twice a year, but would go more often 4-5 times if I could get upgraded, I can also do weekend and long weekend runs just for regular miles to also use as upgrades for int flights. Any suggestions? Is United a better option?

I was also considering Red Carpet Club vs Us Airways as well.

Thanks, and I hope to become a worthwhile participant on this forum, but I have a lot to learn, reading these posts are like trying learning a new language. Is there a Rosetta stone for Flyer talk?
Bonesaz