FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starpoints vs Star Options
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2010, 3:37 pm
controller1

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by golfer727272
Looking at Vacation ownership...Im a platinum starwood so investigating their offerings.

Before I get into hard sell I see some resales are offering Starpoints and Star options.

Are these annual inclusions or case by case..

Whats the difference between the two.

Anyone have any advise on buying new from Starwood vs resales??
The trading currency for Starwood Vacation Ownership for their timeshares are Star Options. For example, ownership of a two-bedroom for one week at Resort X may provide you with 80,000 Star Options. You can use these Star Options for stays at your home resort or you may use their value for stays at other SVO resorts. You may also elect to not use your Star Options during the year for stays at SVO resorts and convert the Star Options to SPG Starpoints for use for hotel stays or airline mile conversions, etc. 80,000 Star Options might convert to say 44,000 SPG Starpoints.

You receive these Star Options annually or every-other-year, based upon whether you own an annual week or every-other-year week.

As to advice on buying new from SVO or resale, you will primarily receive advise from posts on FT to buy resale. I'm biased and did not do that as I own three weeks through SVO which I purchased directly.

Hope that helps.