FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:54 am
studentff

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Andy1369
Hold your horses. There's no confirmation yet from TSA. For all we know, Air Canada could have made that part up.

I still am holding firmly on the fact that I strongly doubt TSA will enact any new policies. Why? This was an international flight that happened to land in Detroit. TSA had nothing, zilch to do with the screening. Therefore, they have no say about this.
News outlets are reporting imposition of these draconian rules on UK - US flights : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...S-flights.html

I just checked the status of UA's flights from FRA to ORD and IAD, and they all look badly delayed, indicating that something is probably going on.

I fear you are too optimistic about TSA having a rational response. TSA's entire philosophy is based on reactionary restrictions after an incident. The "liquid bomb" incident involved international flights, and no bad guy with a liquid ever bought a ticket, let alone boarded a plane. Yet they banned all liquids for several months, implemented absurd restrictions on UK - US flights (virtually no carry on) for quite a while, and continue to have absurd restrictions on liquids.

Granted, we haven't seen a domestic response from TSA yet (or any statement by a US carrier). It's possible what we are seeing is all the overseas stations going into some pre-planned "fail safe" mode with the se restrictions until they get directions from the mothership (DHS/TSA at home, who are certainly still in holiday mode and not running at full force), which could in theory take a deep breath and realize that no action is needed (and that the proposed actions do absolutely nothing to mitigate the threat).

But I have little doubt that this incident by another bungling nutjob will in the end cost us more of our freedom and dignity, cost more $, and make traveling even less fun.