FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can a TSO make me use the family line?
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:45 pm
GoingAway
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by QUERY
Last year, they had the Black Diamond scheme of lanes, experienced travelers in one lane, casual travelers and selectees in another lane or 2, and a lane for disabled people who traveled in wheelchairs or had walkers or canes and those with special needs and families. That has all gone from MKE, probably because there is not enough staff to make it workable. IMO, the reasoning behind Black Diamond was to try and make everyone happy. Experienced travelers wouldn't be slowed by those other categories which generally take longer to pull out their items and put them on the X-ray belt. No TSO can compel you to use a specific lane. No TSO should be yelling at you, period. So long as you remain calm and do not impede the screening process, there is nothing they can do.
Black Diamond lines is TSAs mistaken attempt to circumvent the premium lines at many airports ... they wanted one to replace the other. They don't like the premium lines because they its an airport/airline concept/control point. The big difference is someone actually vets the people using the line with the premium lines, and as you saw its a free for all with the black diamond and TSA lines.

TSOs cannot and should not demand you use one line or the other, they can direct, but you can ignore. At IAD, they use non-TSOs for the line monitors to direct people and I nod at them then ignore the direction and select whichever line I want. It's the same regardless of whoever is doing the pointing, unless you are specifically directed for purposes of special screening.