FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian SPG American Express
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:32 am
seanthepilot
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by IMAbackpacker
It's finally announced, and it's an AMEX!
Seems to closely resemble the US SPG Amex in the benefits described thus far. It's a good day to be a Canadian.

The Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) programme is pleased to announce the new Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express.
[/url]
Great news. I didn't need another card, but this makes me reconsider.

Originally Posted by montrealboy
...as a business owner I have the capability to accept it but I discourage my customers from using it as the cost is almost double what it costs to accept Visa/MC.
When I get told they don't take the card, I remember and then take my business elsewhere next time....

On some occasions I haven't had another card on me and have walked away at the cash register....

...in addition most people who are FF (which are usually the same as SPG members) travel outside of north America where its not accepted at all.
Here in Thailand, AmEx isn't accepted except in the larger businesses. But most Visa and MC purchases in these same places will occur a 3% or more surcharge to use the card. It's not that much of a big deal.

If it's not taken everywhere, it's not taken everywhere. I don't see the issue. I'm just happy we have the choice again.