FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Briggs & Riley Slim Rolling Briefcases
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:06 pm
PhlyingRPh
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by tfar
Before I give you any wrong advice, let me ask why do you want a rolling computer bag AND a rolling luggage bag, if you usually piggyback the computer bag on the rollaboard?
I used the word "piggyback" to describe hanging the computer bag from the Rollaboard while traveling, rather than to place it atop the Rollaboard. I prefer hanging the computer bag off the Rollaboard because there is less strain on the muscles of the forearm, as the weight of such an arrangement is borne by the wheels of the Rollaboard. The other reason I prefer to have two rolling bags is that the computer bag is still fairly heavy IMO and wheeling it from hotel to client sites and around town works better for me than hanging it off my shoulder, especially when I've added a couple of water bottles to the two PC's and other gadgets in the bag.

However, in principle lighter is better and with a 9lb computer bag (net weight of the bag) with wheels that aren't really needed, you are not really getting close to the principle.

Originally Posted by tfar
So, I'd recommend to look for a nice briefcase/computerbag that can hold what you said which really isn't so much. The lighter, the better. Then have that ride piggyback on your bigger bag. It is not the lightest but the Tumi 26141 is certainly one of the best. There is also the very promising EZM Mvision case that is modeled on the Tumi but even more thought through. It has a detachable roller/cart.

Or, the other way around, if you have heavy office equipment to carry all the time, get a rolling computer bag and a non-rolling light bag (e.g. BR235x) to piggyback on top of that. You really only need one set of wheels. Again, the EZM would fit the bill. Or you could look into the Bravo series by Andiamo where you can get some great prices for beautiful cases right now.

Just consider that a wheeled office case will always be much heavier and wider and thus harder to place under the seat in front of you and harder to squeeze in next to you in the car.

There might be a third option, too. You could get one of the very lightweight computer sleeves that hold just the laptop, a PSU and perhaps some files and a video dongle. This thing could be INSIDE your big clothes bag. You might need to choose the 20" instead of the 18" but at the end you'd still have two separate bags but a weight economy of at least 7lb.

Till
These are all good ideas. Thanks.