FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage reward travel on OneWorld partner - YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:51 pm
mjh00008

Originally Posted by brp
Just to clarify from my understanding:

OP wanted an award from MSY-PXM.
Website said "can't be done on the site. Call."
OP booked MSY-MEX on the website and then bougth MEX-PXM.
OP now realizes that award MSY-PXM could have been obtained with a call, and same number of miles (I believe).
OP is trying to make the award be that and get money back for the purchased leg, based on misunderstanding/wording of the error message.

And that's what we're now discussing.

Cheers.
Brp has it essentially correct. If the error message I receive now is the same as it was back in June when I booked then shame on me for not reading it closer and calling AA on the spot. I would like to think that I would have caught that at the time, but it was too long ago to remember precisely what happened at the time.

However, I know I am not the only one who has been tripped up trying to book an AAdvantage award ticket on a oneworld partner. <redacted> Put yourself in the shoes of a casual online booker. <redacted> I'm talking about someone who might interpret the following error message (as it currently reads):

"No American, American Eagle, or American Connection service is provided between the cities requested. Please contact AAdvantage Reservations for Award opportunities on AAdvantage participating airlines."

to mean:

"We don't fly there. If you want the list of places we fly, you are invited to call 1-800...". There are (intelligent) people who might not think that AA simply doesn't provide the ability to book codeshare flights online. There are people still who might no immediately discern between a codeshare partner city and an "American Airlines" city.

In fact, AA and their codeshare partners profit from people who make the same decisions as me. If it was profitable for them to correct, it would have been done by now.

I'm not looking for a refund of the AA tickets. There was no cost for those (only miles and taxes). In an ideal world, AA would find a way to rebook my reservation, including the PXM leg. That would allow me to use the $500 towards a future Mexicana flight -- the Mexicana flights are non-refundable but are transferable.

Last edited by dstan; Dec 15, 2009 at 4:16 pm Reason: TOS violations redacted