FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Point-beyond Ticketing -- Who has been caught--Is it Worth it?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:23 am
MikeMpls
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Check out Southwest Airlines. Their Mission Statement explicitly permits hidden-city ticketing (what you want to do) as well as back-to-back ticketing. Just be sure you have no luggage checked when you step off the plane:
With respect to all of our fares, Southwest Airlines does not prohibit or penalize what is commonly known as “hidden city” ticketing, nor does it prohibit or penalize what is commonly known as “back–to-back” ticketing. “Hidden city” and “back-to-back” reservations and tickets are authorized for travel on Southwest Airlines. It is important to note that your luggage will be checked to the final destination as shown in your reservation record. Should you choose to deplane at a stopover or connection point, you will be responsible for making arrangements to have your luggage delivered to you. Southwest will not entertain a lost or delayed baggage claim or interim expenses in this circumstance.
Round trips are the sums of the one-ways, so there is no advantage to booking RT's. In fact, the advantage lies in booking one-ways so you can take full advantage of their "no change fee" policy to refare if the price drops.

Southwest serves the cities you mention (MDW is their CHI airport, or perhaps MKE if your destination is north of Chicago).

You'll get away with it on Delta once, twice, .... Eventually you will find your miles confiscated and/or your credit card charged for the fare differentials (with or without your authorization).

Originally Posted by TravelBug3811
Please reply if you have tried this travel pratice lately (or personally know someone who has) and have either been caught or got away with it. I am debating attempting it on Delta. Note that this pratice does constitute a breach of Delta's contract of carriage.

This is my (quick) story. As I do not travel for business, I travel infrequently (5-15k miles/yr). The majority of my flights are MSP-DTW (2 Delta hub cities). Prices are high. However, if I perform point-beyond ticketing and travel

DAY 1 - MSP to DTW, DTW to CHI (any airport)
DAY 3 - DTW to MSP, MSP to CHI (any airport)

The price is less than 50% of the direct flight. So will I be able to get away with this? Or, when I miss the Day 1 DTW to CHI flight, will all my flights on Day 3 be cancelled?
It's pretty obvious from my itinerary I am point-beyond ticketing. But does anyone have first or second hand knowledge of someone actually being caught or getting away with it? Thanks all!