FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can the gate agent force me to check an approved carry on?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:29 pm
Sagy
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly. Carryon sizes are not specified by the FAA or the TSA, but see martin33's post above (#34) where describes the recent pressure applied to the airlines.

AA's carryon rules use a two-part size limit. The first is that the larger item cannot exceed 45 linear inches (width + length + height). The personal item must be smaller.

The second limit is that the item must fit within the sizer. Problem is, plenty of items can be less than 45" yet not fit within the sizer (yet still fit in the overhead bin).

If your bag fits the sizer, you're good to go.
Based on my experience in MIA yesterday this is not 100% true. I had to push (not very hard) my bag into the sizer and was told that since I had to "force it" (the push, it didn't have extra room) it was "against" FAA regulations to use it as a carry-on. The same bag (45 dimensional inches) require the push more than half the time (due to depth), but this is the first time I was told that it can't be a carry-on (I have had to check it in before when the bins were full).

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
The underlying issue, as always, is expecatations.

I don't mind GAs telling passengers to check bags in. The issue is expectations - consistency across the board. Some agents will let EXPs and FC pax get away with murder while some don't care who you are. Personally, I don't care whether or not my luggage is scrutinized as long as it's done so (or not done so) consistently on ALL my flights. It's a real pain in the ... to go one segment with all your stuff and then having to check it in on the second leg.
So true, in my case I had no problems on leg 1 & 3, but leg 2 I was forced to gate check the bag . For some reason, for leg 3 the same push was not an issue. Leg 3 was on a smaller plane (757 vs. MD-80) and a fuller flight.

While I agree that GA should not "let EXPs and FC pax get away with murder", I do think that some benefit of the doubt should be given to FC and very frequent travelers.