FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Up to a 250% Holiday Bonus
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:47 am
ExitRowAisle

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by vysean
I ran some numbers when I got the email, but I can't see any way to justify spending for this promo. Best case scenario is 250%, and the best miles-to-dollars ratio is FTD or TrackItBack (please correct me if I'm wrong). So if I spend $20 (plus tax/shipping) on the cheapest TrackItBack item, which gets me 800 miles, which if subject to the 250% "boost" gets me a total of 2,000 miles.

Certainly not a bad deal, but keep in mind this is the most generous example (no other vendor gives 40 miles per dollar spent). Until the end of the year you can buy/share/gift miles for about the same cost per mile and not have to mess around with this promo, nevermind the Grand Slam promo was an even better deal when looking at CPM.
No matter how the promotion is interpreted by US Airways, it seems to me that one should be able to front load his/her activity with low value partners (e.g., Thanks Again, DM Shopping, Bose, etc.) and then sign up for Sharebuilder as one of your 5th-10th partners and earn 10,500 miles (3,000 standard miles + 7,500 bonus miles). Assuming one has never used Sharebuilder before and can time the postings properly, what would be wrong with that strategy?

Sentry would be another good selection for Partner Nos. 5-10, as one would earn 5,250 miles (1,500 base miles + 3,750 bonus miles).