FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:43 pm
glu800

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denCSA
Bingo! QF and BA both employ this concept with revenue and award buckets. In 'GDS-speak' it is called POS (Point of Sale) and is separated out in the inventory system. Not sure as to whether LAN does this as well but it's definitely possible. And also, award seats do not work on a system of 'allotments' to specific carriers, despite what any AAgent may tell you. When an award is made available to partners, it is made available to ALL partners, unless it falls under the POS restrictions.

Thanks guys for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense actually.
So I guess my question now is, do you know if LAN (or other carriers) sometimes increases the award availability in certain regions like North America? Or does this mean that once those seats are gone, they're gone for good?

I have an award reservation on hold right now on AA from SFO-MIA-LIM, even though I would much prefer the SFO-LAX-LIM routing and time. I'm debating whether or not to just ticket what I already have, or maybe wait a little longer to see if something might open up on the LAX-LIM.

Thanks again everyone