FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speeding ticket in France
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:45 am
M747

Programs: SK EBG *G, Flying Blue Silver, Hertz President Circle, Hilton H Gold, Starwood Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
I was recently caught by those cameras thrice in the same night (yeah, I didn't learn!) on my way to Nice from Perpignan. I was in a Europcar rental and about 10 days later, my credit card was charged 25 Euro (around $37) thrice.

Called Europcar to check and it was indeed my speeding fines. Ended up paying them.
Congratulations, Thats just the fee Hertz charges for giving your name and adress to the police. In a while you will probably get a nice letter from the police asking you to pay a fine.

Ok, to get down to the point. In europe there are two varieties. In some countries the driver is responsible, and in others the car owner is responsible. If its the owner, hertz will charge you for the fine plus 25-30 Euro and not even tell you. If its the other variety hertz will charge you the 25-30 Euro to give the police your name, but the ticket is between you and the issuing state. If this is the case, you can easily forget about it. However, if you are very unlucky and fly into a french airport and have an unpaid french ticket they could indeed find you in their system some time down the road, ad push you to pay the fine. However this is not very lightly. I have a couple of unpaid tickets from Switzerland and Italy, and after a while thy get tired of sending you letters.

Hovewer, in the future be careful in europe. I just go to a ticket in norway 114 Km in a 90 km zone on the freeway and it cost 4900 Kroners or about 900USD. The further north the higher the fines.