FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheap pay-as-you-go mobile broadband for laptop in the US?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:57 pm
tacommuter

Programs: AA Plat
Cheap pay-as-you-go mobile broadband for laptop in the US?

Most of the time, I am at either our Spanish or US offices, and so connected over our own broadband networks. While traveling in Europe, I am able to use a 3G USB modem with service from Vodafone which works fine - connectivity is good and €20 a month gets me all the usage I can use while anywhere in Spain and roaming around Europe is €12 a day.

If I wasn't using that for travel around Europe, Simyo has an even better deal which is pure pay-as-you-go, with no monthly fee at all and reasonable cost.

The question is - is there anything similar available in the U.S.? Our cellular voice service is with Verizon, but the only applicable plan I see with them runs $40 per month (for only 250Mb) which seems a bit steep for the amount of and type of usage I would typically have (maybe connecting on only 4 or 5 days a month, but on each of those days potentially having pretty high data transfer.

Can anyone recommend any good alternatives? I would be especially interested in a pay-as-you-go card like Simyo's, with a flat rate per day, applied only when there is usage.