FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Autumn Run - Mixing Business with Pleasure -LHR-ORD-LAS-SFO-LHR (with UA and US)
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:14 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part IX - If you're going (back) to San Francisco.

After paying out another idiot amount for a taxi , I made my way to a heaving check-in. After a lot of flicking in my passport, the luggage was tagged with priority markers, and after being asked window or isle (and saying window), I was upgraded to E+ at check in.

A short hike, and I was at D Gates TSA. And this is where the fun began. If you've noted through this trip report, I've been asking for manual scans of all my film. Why? Well I'm an old fashioned so and so who 1) uses 120 film, 2) actually understands the damage X-rays can do to film and 3) If the packet on the film says "DO NOT EXPOSE TO X-RAY", you follow that instruction.

So I got a full "it can be scanned, not it can't, I want to scan it, I've had no problems elsewhere, strop, go off scan, tell me to mail it home next time (what and subject it to industrial X-ray... clever idea). You just have to LOVE the TSA for inconstancy.

To be honest, I just got out of the TSA zone, and headed to the gate. I wasn't that fussed on Lounge access, and besides, it was a chance to catch up on mail before heading home.

After making sure no volunteers were required (yes - I would try it on ), I joined the queue and boarded in the first group.

UA567 - Las Vegas McCarran International- San Francisco International
United Airlines UA567, 28/10/09, 10A
Airbus A320S - ExTED Configuration

After boarded, I discovered to my delight that I had actually got an exit row - ok not the fabled Row 11 - but still a substantial amount of space.

My companion

However, this is defiantly an exTED aircraft (even though in United colours). Apart from the classic orange chet lines on the luggage bins, the big FlyTED.com on the back gave it away

TED is still Happy to see you! RAR!

Still the aircraft was clean, and looked in good condition. After being asked if I would be happy to perform the exit row functions, boarding completed and a long taxi ensued before the Airbus took to the sky.

Leaving Las Vegas...

Safety belts were left on for a bit due to turbulence in the area, thanks to the high winds in the area. Soon enough the lights were extinguished, and a drinks service commenced - will full cans of coke being issued

See TED. Full Can. RAR!

Again - once past the turbulence, a nice gentle flight. Soon enough it was time to batten down the hatches for landing and after a nice touch down, it was a short taxi to the terminal.

On approach for SFO

The doors were released quickly, and I made a bolt for the exit.

With a good 10 hours before my next flight, it seemed a waste to spend it in the RCC at SFO, so instead I wandered off to down-town San Francisco and explored some of the places I missed last time when I was doing the MegaDo last time.

However, time as usual evaporated quickly, and it was back on the BART to the airport. As I had my Boarding pass already issued, I proceed to security, where upon the scanner failed, and I was put in the glass box for 5 minutes for a pat-down.

After that little humiliation, I headed straight for the RCC. I was greeted by a friendly receptionist, and immediately given my two drink chits without prompting.

The SFO International RCC

After wandering upstairs, I found a nice window seat overlooking both the International and Domestic areas. A quick gaze out of it and I saw four fire engines... lights ablaze... what was going on. Soon enough I had an answer - with a United 737 taxing in (and after a bit of research, the last UA737 coming home

United Recommends San Francisco Airport Cleaning Services
More at www.ghettoife.com

The lounge itself is nice and airy, with the usual paid for bar and the mixes and cruets. Whilst not a brilliant selection (much like the LAX lounge), it still puts the ORD and IAD lounges to shame.

Soon enough 7pm rolled around, and I packed up my trash one more time and headed for the gate, where r Star Gold/Prem Exec boarding was announced, I made my way into the aircraft for the final leg home.

Last edited by Kevincm; Aug 13, 2010 at 9:47 pm