FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Autumn Run - Mixing Business with Pleasure -LHR-ORD-LAS-SFO-LHR (with UA and US)
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:05 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part VIII - Mileage Run Day with US Airways

After ponying up for another expensive taxi, I wandered to check in, and confused the poor check in agent.

"Where are you going today sir?"
"Las Vegas"
"... oh.. you're trying to confuse the computer"
"Two words: Mileage run"
tap tap tap...
"... and here are the boarding passes"

A short walk to the TSA who were in a friendly mood - film scanned by hand without questions and it was a short walk to the A Gates where my flight would go from.

As US Airways have pulled the lounge in LAS, it was off to waiting at the gate. However, there is one minor upside to this (apart from the slot machines making noises) - free WiFi!

How I'll remember LAS airport...

Soon enough boarding came around, and once the person on the Segway boarded - as well as a couple of families, it was time to board in the first boarding group.

Las Vegas McCarran International - Phoenix Sky Harbour
US Airways US460, 27/10/09
Airbus A320, Seat 5F
255 Miles flown, 600 Earnt

The Pictures

Ah. Good old US Airways. You always know which bucket you're sitting in. Defiantly one of America West's old machines, the aircraft was in good shape - as was the seating. Boarding was very slow, and to be honest, I nodded off.

The announcements must had been quiet because I missed the safety demo (not that I read the card on boarding, counted the rows back and forward to the exits... call me old fashioned, but I like to know HOW I'm going to escape) and the next thing I knew - it was up in the air with us.

Clearing city limits

The crew managed a 60% service on this flight, however leaving Las Vegas and approaching Phoenix was pretty bumpy, so crews were trapped in seats a lot of the time.

Points for how many of those services are running...

Soon enough, it was time to line up for Phoenix, and we taxied into the B Concourse. This was my juncture to make use of my BMI Star Gold Card - and head for the lounge

Another airport - time to hike again

Of course, this meant a hike from one end of B concourse to the other and back again for about 15 minutes in a lounge. In the name of research of course

US Airways Club, Phoenix Sky Harbour Airport
Coffee's drunk: One
Bagels eaten: 2
Muffins eaten: 1
Bagels smuggled out: 2
Juvenile laughter amount for the word "Smuckers": 12 minutes at least.

Just a quick visit really to poke around and see what's what. The lounge felt comparatively small for a "Hub" lounge, but the food options were stocked as well as they could be for a morning in a US lounge and the coffee was hot.

The Lounge

Another healthy breakfast

Enough to rest for a few minutes before picking up the rush of this run.

After wandering to the gate - two flights were listed. This was going to be fun. After a 10 minute delay to boarding, the LAX passengers were invited to board.

Phoenix Sky Harbour - Los Angeles International
US Airways Express US2611 operated by Mesa Airlines , 27/10/09
Canadair CRJ200, Seat 2A
370 Miles flown, 600 Earnt

Mesa.. Mesa... Messy air. There is a running joke that in express carriers, one does the following. Considering a Mesa friend of mine once said "We got compared how bad we were to Ryanair. I was proud"... how bad are they?

Boarding was a mess with both a plane for somewhere in the Orange County and LAX loading at the same time, with the LAX passengers being sent to the wrong jet.... before being sent back to our CRJ-200.

Inside the CRJ - we hadn't closed up yet

Safety demo was done manually, with the flight attendant having to stop at each segment of the demo to show the mask and seatbelt - this is where Republics/Trans-State's idea of recording the demo once, then allowing it to work on playback isn't a bad idea.

After a short taxi, it was back up in the air for the second leg of this hop. Again - it was bumpy of out of Phoenix, but after a while the air settled down.

Up we go again

Now the state of this CRJ.... Oh dear. Someone needs to show a little love to this aircraft. Uncared for would be one word. In need of a deep clean would be a better description.

Clean me!

Now I freely admit I didn't have much sleep at all the night before, so I took the opportunity to doze. As it feels you're in a sardine can in a CRJ-200, this isn't too hard for ones head to rest against the bulkhead. Saying that, I drifted in and out enough to snap some pics, and saw a service being carried out - even requests for drinks after service was met with a smile.

Soon enough - the little CRJ was lining up for LA, and after a nice gentle touchdown, it was a quick taxi to the gate. Seeing that the earlier LAS flight had just gone to doors closed, I wandered off to another US Airways club to empty them of coffee and crunchy mix.

Overall: A little love is needed for the plane, but the basic service was reasonable and the flight attendant was in full smile mode. Whilst Mesa does have a reputation that puts it in the lower classes, lets put it like this: I've been on worse flights.

US Airways Club - LAX.
Fun with the coffee machine: Lots
What the hell I am doing drinking in LA? Waiting for the next flight obviously!

After being admitted, I found a nice corner to sit in. Again - this area had a T-Mobile hotspot (and another $7.99 goes fizzle) and started raiding the snack bar (woefully filled - but about right for US carriers I suppose), and I settled down.

Now there is one thing about this club - a distinct lack of sunlight as it is boxed in a corner practically - so it is a very "dark" environment. But still - it was a quiet time of day and not many people until boarding time - so I could get on with a bit of typing and catch up with "the real world".

Soon enough, it was time to wander off again so I thanked the staff, and wandered down to the gate where I waited for the next flight.

Meanwhile in Southwest Land...

Los Angeles International - Las Vegas McCarran International.
US Airways US162, Seat 5F
Airbus A319, Seat 5A

The Pictures

After boarding and once again, stowing my stuff the plane filled up very quickly for this short hop back to LAS. Again - US Seems to doing well as all the seats seem to had been taken - mainly with connecting passengers (a lot of Japanese tourists as well as British tourists flying in for the Half-Term break).

Repairing the Encounter

Soon enough, we pushed back, safety demo completed and after a very short taxi from T1, we were up in the air going out over the pacific, before turning back inland.

Very quickly the flight attendants were released, and a drinks run was done, with a warning that would be a fair bit of turbulence at the end of the flight as there were dust storms in the Vegas vicinity.

Now lets get to the state of this poor plane. Whilst looking good on first inspection (the grey walls indicating this was either a post merger or US Airways plane), getting to the seat - things are little more visible that US isn't showing the love, and nor are the passengers for that matter.

Wanted: Person to care for inside of Airbus A319. Apply in writing to US Airways, Tempe, Arizona..

Out of scientific interest I also decided to waste $7 on a US NapPack. So exactly what's in one?

Well we have a blanket (made of very cheap fleece - not nice to the touch), a inflatable pillow (not too bad I suppose), Blindfold (Airline quality) and earplugs (untested) and a $10 SkyMall catalogue discount (laughable) and a bag to hold it all in (branded). Whilst not the best value in the air, it saves some costs for US, whilst also seemingly adding value for customers.

As we descended, the cabin was locked down early and out of the window, it was possible to see the dust whipping up. A comparatively gentle landing, and once again - I had reached Vegas.

Overall: Oh US Airways. A bit of love and care would go a long way with your aircraft. The service itself was good, and was paced reasonably for the flights and the clubs were acceptable. I however still think that US *really* needs to raise it's game further now that Continental have joined the Star Alliance.

Well that's enough US Airways isn't it?

Another night at the MGM Grand - and some time catching up with FlyerTalkers, but as usual - time was not on my side.

Lets get back to the home run shall we?

Last edited by Kevincm; May 7, 2010 at 6:33 pm