FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Autumn Run - Mixing Business with Pleasure -LHR-ORD-LAS-SFO-LHR (with UA and US)
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:59 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part I - Coaches, Heathrow T1 and Lounges.

After the disaster that was packing (and to be honest partially my fault for accepting more work that I should had) by 2am, I was ready for the off. A cab was called, and after he go lost finding where I live (cabbies are good at that) and wearing clogs instead of shoes, it was a quick dash to the coach station for the early bus to Heathrow.

This travelling light concept... explain it to me one more time...

National Express Service 210
Birmingham City Centre Coach station to Heathrow Central Bus Station

Soon enough, I was at Digbeth Coach station, with the coach loading. I had my ticket validated, and boarded.

Of course, at this time of night, only the usual nutters were travelling – with families. Thankfully a pair of noise isolation headphones I obtained from the last trip shut the families up.

At the first available opportunity, I fell asleep and slowly woke up when the coach was reaching M25. As I entered the Heathrow approach tunnel, my iPhone decided to play the following song

Hmm. This iPhone knows *FAR* too much about me. Has Steve Jobs actually made it sentient?

Within minutes, I was ejected as my luggage was at Heathrow Central Bus station - in time for the long push to T1.

Heathrow T1

The Pictures

Heathrow T1 has changed a fair bit - least of all with all the premium areas springing up, but since a lot of the Star Alliance has moved in - it feels lighter and breezier than before.

The UA check-in queue system for Star Silver or Star Gold can be haphazard some days, clearly indicated as they were processing everyone from all queues.

Here is the exact conversation that took place between me and the queue agent

“Business class?”
“Star Gold – Economy”
“Follow me please…”

I was lead to the amazing place that is the First Class/United Global Services check-in section and checked in there. A bit of banter went on, and of course – I offered my seat for VDB if needed. It was kindly declined and I asked if I had time to go to both the BMI Number One and Star Alliance Lounge which there was a bright “Of course sir…”

Once everything was dumped at Zone Y for over-sized, it was off to security. Again no queues, and as I was passing a scanner, the agents opened a unit up for me. No objections were raised for a manual scan of my film and I was through quickly.

Then it was straight off through the rabbit warren that is the BMI end of T1 and to the Number One end of the lounge. As I entered, I had a brisk “Where do you think you’re going sir?” (travelling in my usual look I don't exactly look like a business professional - more like a student...). A flash of the BMI Gold Card and her tone changed and a smile, - “Please come in sir…”

Lounge Stop – BMI Diamond Club – The Number One Lounge

Plenty of Flyertalkers have been through this lounge – and it is fast making a big impact in LHR T1 operations. But why? Is it something that can take on the holy grail of the Virgin Clubhouse at T1? Or is it an oddly filled space?

I was warmly greeted and given a quick verbal tour of the lounge as it was my first time there. I then had a walk round, looking at the well lit spaces, the small corners and finally, I grabbed a coffee, a few Lily O’Brien chocolates (Well… a certain BMI flyer doesn’t need them anyway when flying on his little EmBRUair ) and sat down.

WiFi access is via “The Cloud” – was free of charge – just enter your the details and off it went – so much so the first blog post of this journey was made their (with awful pictures).

Here are some better ones

The Local

The Bar

Food Area

Coffee

And a sign of times that have changed...

This is defiantly a nice place to spend time, with excellent design and thought. Excellent work BMI.

One little critique – and its been pointed out by others before – the food options for breakfast are pretty poor (pan -au-chocalat, toast, croissants). So as had a long hike ahead, I thanked the staff for an excellent lounge visit, and hiked back across T1 to the other lounge option - the Star Alliance Common Lounge.

Lounge Stop – Star Alliance Common Lounge

After being let in, and being directed in, the first thing I noticed was how busy the lounge was. The second thing I noticed was the lack of plugs in the place now. In the end I made a nest in the business centre for another 45 minutes, stocking up on bacon rolls and sausage baps for a bit.

The Breakfast of Champions - A Proper Bacon Roll is always appreciated!

WiFi has changed in this lounge – it’s now a BT OpenZone WiFi hotspot – but within the lounge complex – it’s free. I quickly has some nibbles, a splash charge of the iPhone and the MacBook and soon enough – 7am had rolled around. Time for me to bid farewell to the lounge and begin the long hike.

Thankfully UA929 was assigned to Gate 38 – so the hike was quite short for once. Upon arriving, Zone 1 and 2 were being called, so I made myself present.

My boarding pass was scanned – and she said “Have a good Mr H… Hold it – You’re Mr Kevin…”

Hold breath – was it?

“Sir – 36K has been taken from you. You've moved you into 9H. Have a pleasant flight – your Star Gold has helped you today”

WOOHOO! BATTLEFIELD UPGRADE

Last edited by Kevincm; May 7, 2010 at 6:25 pm