FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Question[s - getting from DEN to TLV on miles in WT+/J]
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:06 am
JSteele

So a CW award from Denver to London would come to $724?
Not really. That was my calculation of a DEN-LHR-TLV RT for fuel surcharges only. I know taxes are more, but I am assuming that would (should) be the same on any award or purchase. Here is how I figured the $724.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_gb#

I assumed DEN-LHR is over 9 hours, although now I see the DEN-LHR is less, but the LHR-DEN is more, due to winds. As a pilot myself, I know that this could be different depending on the month flown.

If they are both 9 hours than you have $205 per sector, or $410 RT. Add the LHR-TLV RT at $157 per sector, $314 RT and that is how I got to $724. If they go by scheduled times on the outbound, that would reduce it to $676.

BTW, They do a masterful job of making fuel surcharges as opaque as possible on the web site. No breakdowns, just a general reference to the chart, and all the taxes are lumped in together, as if their fuel surcharge was just another tax. How this is legal must be the subject of another thread. Does the "fare" given have any meaning left?

Anyways, I really would like to know what success people have had booking AA awards, domestic or international with BA miles. The Chase card might be worth it even if BA metal awards don't make much sense.

Again, thanks for all the info. This is a fantastic forum.