FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Cargo for Personal Effects
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:15 am
phonicsfrog

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I went ahead with Air Canada Cargo, and it was a success. Here are details for anyone interested in doing the same thing.

I had 50kg of stuff to send. Too much to send by post, not enough to justify a container, so I called up Air Canada Cargo and made a booking. Dropping it off at Edmonton airport, I had to provide contact details, the packing list, and $320 (charged by weight, not volume... nice). There were no Canadian customs export charges because the total value was less than $2000.

In Sydney, the collection process was:
  1. Go to the Air Canada Cargo office (near the international terminal), pay $110 in fees and collect some paperwork.
  2. Take the paperwork to the customs office (walking distance), fill in form B534, and see a customs officer. I should have paid customs duty and GST on everything in my shipment less than 12 months old, but since I only had a few low-value things in that category, the customs officer kindly waived those charges.
  3. See a quarantine officer in the same building. I did report some food and wooden items, but the officer decided an inspection was not necessary. Stamp, stamp, paperwork done.
  4. Walk back to the Air Canada Cargo office and wait around for them to pull my stuff out of the warehouse.
Total cost: about 440 Aussie dollars