FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Snow tires mandatory in BC for mountains roads
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:29 am
rphillips

snow tire mandatory

I have looked over everything that has been said and see most have doubts or misunderstandings about snow tire
They are mandatory and you are subject to fine if in an area that needs tires or chains.I have also heard that you could be held liable for an accident if you are in one and there are no winter tires on.
These are two good reasons to buy snow tires alone get a $600.00 set of tires and if stopped smile and say I have snow tires>if in accident(not your fault) smile and say I have snow tires the other sucker doesnt .
besides the legal side of it well common sense says snow tires after all how many out there would go for a drive in winter with no snow tires to possibly injure or worse a family member.
Please people think on the positive
here is some info
1 snow tires if used properly can be used for 3-5 years
2 some are better than others
3 best are ones with a mountian on side
many wonder about the wear and rightly so an ice radial type tire will wear faster if used on dry pavement. these are meant for areas with icy conditions not downtown vancouver.
Studded tires are a personal preferance they really dont make all that much differance
Myself I use a cheaper snow tire but have used the others above
by the way I do live in the interior and do drive on snow,sluch and ice about 5 months of the year and the worst driving in winter I find is slush as a snow tire does not really help nor does an all season. They are both subject to the water under neath the sno/slush condition.
Drive with care and enjoy your province this winter
r phillips