FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Snow tires mandatory in BC for mountains roads
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:20 am
YVR Cockroach
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by DanJ
I suspect that it doesn't matter if the vehicle is 4wd/awd, if they aren't winter tires, they don't qualify. I suspect that many light truck/SUV 4wd tires do have m&s (mud and show) ratings on them, (the Continentals on my Escape have the small m+s on the sidewall) while your typical awd car or minivan doesn't.
The tires need to have the Cdn winter tire rating (symbol below). Not sure if all M&S tires - especially OEM ones - have them (haven't looked).

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/image...ire%5B1%5D.gif

I wouldn't go without snowtires after putting them on our Caravan a couple years ago. All season really aren't, unless you are talking about all 4 of Florida's seasons. When we traded the Caravan in last January, I got a strange look from the guy at Canadian Tire when I took the old van in and said "well, it hasn't snowed in 2 weeks, get those tires off of there". We drove the new van on the tires it came with, and even though they were new, you could really tell the difference.
I'm sure they make a difference. I heard years ago that the Japanese tires are particularly good because Japan is as icey as Canada and studded tires aren't allowed there. The trouble is that they're soft too, and will wear out faster.