FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BBC World last week used the term "air hostess" for flight attendant-acceptable term?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:23 am
ajax

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by 1apreferably
The term flight attendant will, as 'American crap' is absorbed around the world, become the common expression.
All empires fade. It won't be pretty, but it will happen to the US, too.

Originally Posted by 1apreferably
The misogynistic 'we will call them what we've always called them' approach to female workers will eventually disappear.
Personally, I hope it doesn't. There is nothing misogynistic about the term "air hostess" provided that the equivalent referring to men, "air host", is in use. I have heard this used colloquially as well.

Newsflash: it may seem strange, but not every culture in the world wholeheartedly embraces anodyne, politically-correct-for-the-sake-of-it language just because some do.

The OP refers to a story about an Indian air hostess made by a British telelvision company (paid for by my taxes, incidentally). Neither of these is American. I have a suggestion: if you don't like it, don't watch it. But don't expect everyone to conform to your ideas of what is sexist and what is not: has it ever occurred to you that you are wrong?