FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The The BA Y+ and Y class Long Haul Experience (LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD and back)
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:24 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
part IV - BKK-SYD

British Airways BA009, 27/08/09, World Traveller Plus, 13K
Boeing 747-400 Mid J Configuration
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International, to Sydney International Airport T1.

The Pictures

Again – I boarded in the first door and turned right into WTP. After boarding I was offered papers, and then my seat mate came to keep me occupied with stories of late night Bangkok and the.. umm… “Nightlife” with details approaching TMI.

Trundling

Thankfully the plane begun its long trundle around BKK ad finally, the engines were brought up to speed and we were off into the evening sky – with night falling at BKK.

Of course this meant for lovely pics and sights as night fell.

Dusk settling

Night settling

And the skies- more in the photoblog

Soon enough the drinks came (vodka and cola),

Get used to this picture

and the dinner round came with this time which was Spanish Chicken.

Whilst not on a level with United’s “Oh dear”, this was a comparative poor meal to the Lemon and Ginger chicken on the way out. Whilst the contents were reasonable, there was just something lacking from the meal – be it taste or something I’ve been trying to put my finger on. For an Asian catering point, I was expecting at least one Asian choice.

The Cake

The cake was… odd, but not inedible, whilst the mushroom salad was… inspiredly different (that’s as diplomatic as I’m going to get here).

Now here is my biggest moan about the WTP seats – the distance between the window and the actual window seat itself. Perhaps I’ve done far too many flights in Y, but I do like the window seat to be near the window so I can rest my head on the bulkhead. The seat whilst providing some support for the head with the winged style headrest doesn’t give the support of a relatively solid bulkhead – thus sleep on both sectors was tough – 5 hours in 24 isn’t good considering I was hoping for a lot more than that – I was a tad disappointed in the seat. The footrest was good when it behaved, but the lumbar support was near enough useless.

After the first flight where I watched what I wanted to watch – it was time to make a Ghetto IFE system to keep me amused for this sector.

Yup. I couldn’t resist.

As a result, I was up as we crossed over the land border into Australia, intercepting and the north east, and taking a route southwards then across to Sydney. The skys were clear as we begun the long trek towards SYD.

Soon enough the cabin started waking up, and the breakfast service was commenced which for a sector of this length is… the beloved deli box with an almond croissant, yoghurt and a coffee.

Oh dear. Then we get to the part I REALLY want to talk about. The “Orange Juice” which in its loosest term may had seen an organ in some previous life, but was very…. Chemically. More of an orange squash. Not very good at all.

Morning skies

Soon enough, the cabin was cleared down again, IFE systems switched to the map for the approach and after doing a lap or two as we were early, we powered over the Pacific, and turned for SYD, planting the wheels on the ground firmly, and soon enough the gate was reached.

Toto... I'm not sure we're in England anymore...

Again – where WTP is located on a 747-52J configuration – meant I was off before the business class passengers. Soon enough I fought my way past the Duty Free and finally, to Customs where I was stamped in without a question.

Luggage delivery begun with the SYD Loaders paying approximately no attention to priority tags or any info. About 20 minutes after getting to the belt, mine spat out. It was then off to Quarantine (as I had declared I had food items). With a summary explanation, I was cleared to enter Australia without further inspection (so here’s a hint – be honest on the form!) and before I knew it – I had exited and reached down under. A phone call later – and I was active.

Last edited by Kevincm; May 7, 2010 at 6:37 pm