FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta: No customer service No. and Delayed Baggage pickup at airport at own cost!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:06 pm
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I quite disagree with this... when a carrier has already failed in the most basic matter of transporting a passenger's bags along with the passenger, and subsequently caused unexpected delay to the passenger as a result of waiting for bags that were not loaded in the first place, to me it seems completely unreasonable to expect next that the passenger - who has already been delayed, and made to wait around for bags that were not loaded in the first place, should incur additional delay and expense simply because the carrier is unwilling to provide adequate staff to deal with the situation as it has happened.

Being willing to follow up by telephone or internet for a missing bag situation is both the least that a passenger in such a situation might expect from a carrier, and perhaps the best situation that a carrier might hope for from such a passenger.

Next people will be saying that as passengers we should be willing to buy a ticket back to the last airport to collect our missing bags, since every time we check in a bag anywhere, we take the chance that it might not make it with us, and it's our own fault if it doesn't...
Sometimes passengers have ground connections to make, such as connections via rail. Do you stand in a huge queue to make a claim and miss your rail connection -- or do you catch your rail connection and make a call?

I've been caught in this scenario and I exited the airport to catch my rail connection. I had to make some phone calls and by an act of god did get things sorted for a bag delivery.

Had a similar scenario happen two weeks ago, but to complicate things, I had already been re-routed (luggage was pulled & re-routed), and flight I was on ended up being delayed.

Since this was JFK, I skipped on the last LIRR train of the night and spent a good hour dealing with the fine luggage people.

Once finished, I had no more ground options for the night, it was past 2am, and here I am at JFK / DL baggage. I ended up paying $150 for a night at the JFK Holiday Inn Express (not the best of hotels).

Just before 10am as I'm checking out, DL calls saying my luggage arrived and wanted to know where to deliver. Since I had to go back to the airport to catch the AirTrain / LIRR, I went and collected my baggage.

Anyways - ground connections can just be important and there should be another line of re-course instead of waiting 1+ hr to have a baggage agent complete a missing bag form.

JFK again next week - this time, no checked luggage.