FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta: No customer service No. and Delayed Baggage pickup at airport at own cost!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:31 pm
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Yes, I completely understand that story and that is exactly what I was talking about. I could have tried to take my original connection, which the bags were loaded onto and then, at MY expense, get the bags. That makes sense (partly).

The airline was able to re-route you without additional cost and your decision was to not fly with your bags. You could have continued to DTW and found overnight accommodations on your own.

You made the right decision to make your life easier...
As the flight to DTW did cancel, I actually would have spent the night in New York - no way I could have continued to Detroit.

With NWA, I've never been forced to "voluntarily separate" from luggage to be protected from IRROPs - be it a missed connection or canceled flight. I should add same goes with other carriers IME, even if I'm FIMed to another airline.

According to the time stamp on the "flight cancellation notice" for the DTW flight, it actually canceled during the boarding of the MEM flight, but I had already powered down my mobile.

Is it actually Delta policy that pax must "voluntarily separate" from their baggage to be protected on new flights during IRROPs?