FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance Club Sport Walnut Creek
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2009, 4:58 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
After getting fed up with the Embassy Suites not caring about the broken mattress in my room, I switched to the Renaissance Club Sport. The hotel is catty-corner to the Embassy Suites, so both are very convenient to BART.

The Embassy Suites have larger rooms since they are all suites with separate bedrooms and spacious living/dining areas. Also, the Embassy Suites are able to put the coffee maker in the dining area, not the bathroom (which I find distasteful).

However, the Renaissance Club Sport has reasonably-sized rooms with nicer furnishings and better quality bedding. The TV cabinet (armoire) is very attractive, with lighter wood and contrasting dark squares. The bed was very nice, supporting and comfortable. (The hotel does go way overboard on pillows, but I just stashed the excess in the closet.) There is a work desk with free wired and wireless "high-speed" Internet access (unfortunately rather slow, but it was free).

The bathroom was very nice: large, modern, with ample counter space and a nice shower. Little touches, like decorative weights and a gift-wrapped toilet paper roll, add to the ambiance.

The attached health club is nice, with a half-Olympic pool (25 meters). It does get quite crowded at certain hours, with long lines on some mornings, and a lot of kids on summer afternoons (the water gets very murky late in the day). If you enjoy exercise, this is a terrific hotel; if you like to swim, try late mornings.

The breakfast buffet is free to elite members of the Marriott program, an extra $30 per room otherwise. I found it much calmer and less crowded than at the Embassy Suites, with similar items but presented nicer (better serving dishes, more pleasant environment).

In addition to the full restaurant, there is a cafe off the lobby that offers coffee drinks, smoothies, sandwiches, protein drinks, and so forth.