FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HGVC conversion to Honors
View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:25 pm
JonathanIT

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Interesting.

I'm curious what kind of value a HGVC would have gets as an HH point generator...

Looking at recently closed eBay auctions, many are selling at or below $0.50 per HGVC point. For instance, one 7000 HGVC point timeshare sold for $2126. That would generate 175k HH points per year. The annual maintenance fee is $1227. The exchange is $69. If you spread the upfront cost over 10 years, that's $1508.60 per year for 175k HH points, or $0.0086 per HH point. That's a bit less than the $0.01 that you can buy them for, but a bit more than most of us value them at.

The biggest factor seems to be the annual maintenance fees. I wonder how that's calculated.
I think the HHonors points are a big perk (I have over 700K in my account right now), but HGVC is SO much more. I really enjoy the resorts, and the new West 57th Hilton Club property in NYC is FANTASTIC. I just spent 4 nights there for 1,500 HGVC points. You do the math.

Last edited by JonathanIT; Aug 28, 2009 at 11:54 pm