FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - customs agents and speech/hearing disability
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:20 pm
etch5895

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by janereed
Hi. I have an adult son who is exceptionally intelligent (he was recently awarded a utility patent on one of his drums) but, because of a work injury, has a 40%R and 80%L hearing loss and suffers from moderate aphasia - occasionally mixing up words when talking/listening and he also has difficulty writing. He has a visible disability when it comes to walking distances, so he holds on to my shoulder for balance. We are both US citizens. He has the opportunity to perform at a disability festival this year in Korea, and next year I would like to show him Paris and London. But, I am really concerned about his inability to get through customs if I am not allowed to be with him to help him answer questions. Since I am not his "guardian" in the legal sense, will they separate us in customs even though I am his care assistant? Any suggestions? Thank you very much.
You probably mean immigrations more than customs. In Paris I would say no trouble at all, as it is unlikely that he would be questioned at all, and you could probably go through as a family. London may be a little more difficult, but I would guess you could also approach the immigration officer as a family and speak for your son. The reason I think London may be a little more difficult is that they always have asked me a few questions. In Paris, I don't believe I've been interviewed even once.

Enjoy your travels.