FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Fuerstenhof, Leipzig, Germany [No longer Marriott-affiliated]
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:49 am
Hanlgt

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
I am lowly gold, but spent two nights here last week and it was a lovely hotel with excellent, friendly service and great location.
We arrived by train (it may be the largest, or second largest station in Europe--it has 140 shops in a mall-like setting) and just walked outside, turned right and followed the main Ring Road around until we got to the hotel. I was told I got an upgrade to a better room, but I didn't see any others. Ours was on the third floor and looked out onto a lovely inner courtyard. I would not recommend a front room as the street outside is full of traffic.
The bathroom was extremely modern and nice, but the room decor had a sort of old fashioned look, with quite low beds and large windows that opened, but had no screens for bugs. The AC system was great, even though we were there on two hot days, and we slept well at night.

There is no coffeemaker to make some in the morning, but there is a mini bar fridge with room in it to put something. The tv was not flat screen in our room, but it was fine. Only one or two news channels in English. Internet was too expensive for us to pay for but when we asked for an internet cafe to check email, we were led to a place in AugustusPlatz --a bit of distance away by foot,but in the center of things--which apparantly has closed down and there are none in the area at all.

The variety of shops and cafes and things to do and walk, etc is great near the hotel and you can find a variety of cheap breakfasts and lunches,etc. The Starbucks near the Augustusplatz had free Wifi if you have your own laptop. They give you a number to call on your cell phone, and then you get a text back with a code that you can use for an hour.

We went down to the pool, which has a grotto-like feel and not a soul was there for three hours on a Sunday afternoon. There is no jacuzzi as far as I saw, but a little gym.

We loved Leipzig--it is a beautiful, quiet, orderly and friendly place.