FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest way to get to Cambodia?
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:21 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by annie.s.dupre
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum-and I'm hoping to get some advice on a trip I'm planning to Cambodia (my boyfriend is there for 2 years in Peace Corps). I'm pretty flexible with when I can go, although I would prefer to go next summer, next winter is also an option. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to get there? I'm hoping to spend $1000 or less on the ticket, and I would be willing to fly into a neighboring country if it's much cheaper (we are planning on traveling anyway). Any advice? ^
Thanks!
Originally Posted by cj001f
Duh. Fly to BKK.
You did not specify where in cambodia you would like to go.
As cj001f and others pointed out, flying to BKK is the cheapest option. From BKK, take a train or a bus to Aranyaprathet, complete your exit (from Thailand) and entry (to Cambodia) formalities as you cross the border
and take a shared taxi from Poipet to Siem reap or Phnom Penh. I have done the overland from BKK to Siem Reap about two years ago. The taxi from Poipet to Siem reap should cost about $45 for 4 people. You wil be asked more, but insist on $45. You will find companions at the border, as I did. The link given by jiejie is an excellent resource.

If you get to BKK in the wee hours, you can catch a bus to Aranyaprathet from the Transportation Centre. I missed that bus as my brother arrived at BKK at 7:30 a.m. I think it leaves around 8:00 a.m and costs about 230 Baht. There is a free bus to from the airpirt to the Transportation Centre.

The Tales Of Asia link says that there are several buses from the Transportation Centre to Aranyaprathet. When I was there, there was only one bus around 8:00 a.m. As of my last visit there in March 2008, there was still only one bus to Aranyaprathe from the Transportation Centre although Tales of Asia has always said that there are several buses. The 8:00 bus will ensure that you cross the border in time to get to Siem reap or Phnom Penh, the same day before dark. Later buses will either require you to overnight in Aranyaprathet, or you will get to your destination after dark.

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 10, 2009 at 7:36 pm