TEX277

Shanghai – Hong Kong
Shanghai Airlines
FM809
767-300
B-2566
Business Class
Seat 2A

Another early departure and not really wanting to get out of bed, I left it as late as I felt comfortable with. Check out was swift and I was soon back out on Nanjing Road. I paused briefly to capture the scene at 7am on the street before heading off to the nearby Metro station.

I caught the metro to the Maglev station and then waited patiently for the train. There are not many times when I have been 20 miles away from the airport with only 1hr 15mins until departure and felt quite as at ease.

Business Class check-in was quick and I was soon through Immigration and security and heading for the Gate 77 lounge. This lounge is run by Shanghai Airlines and serves as the Star Alliance Lounge at T2. The Business Class section is spacious enough with various seating areas. Food and drink (no wine or champagne) offerings are little more than satisfactory.

Soon enough it was time for boarding. The aircraft (a 767-300) was waiting at Gate 86.

I went through the priority lane again and straight onto the aircraft. I was welcomed onboard and pointed towards my seat. The Business Class section of this aircraft had 28 seats in a 2-2-2 layout with five rows (the centre column only had 4 rows). The pre-departure drink was a choice of water or juice. I took the juice.

It was announced around 10 minutes before scheduled departure that the flight was going to be delayed by 1hr due to weather at Hong Kong. The cabin crew took the opportunity of the delay to offer us (only two other passengers with me in Business and one of those was an employee) our breakfast at the gate and the Hong Kong arrival card. There was no menu, just a choice of Chinese or Western. Again I was boring and chose a have a beer with my meal. The beer, a Carlsberg Chill (rather ironically) was served at room temperature!

After only serving half of our delay, we pushed back and headed for the runway. We waited for an Asiana A320 to land and then commenced our take-off roll. As we headed towards our cruising altitude the cabin crew made an improvised curtain to separate the Business cabin from the galley with a piece of cord and a blanket.

Other than a passing of the duty free trolley, there was no service by the crew for the entire 2 hour flight.

Last edited by TEX277; Aug 10, 2009 at 2:45 am