TEX277

San Francisco – Hong Kong
Cathay Pacific
CX879
747-400
B-HUI
First Class
Seat 3A

I found the Cathay check-in area around 1hr 10mins before departure! I had made it! I presented myself and asked about the second flight on this itinerary. I had a missed call from BA (who issued the award ticket) at 3am one night in Vegas advising me that my Dragonair flight to Shanghai had been cancelled. I looked up the reservation on checkmytrip and noted that they had put me onto a Cathay flight instead which only had business and economy onboard. As I had wanted to sample The Wing at HKG again, I was not happy with this and wanted to be put on a Dragonair flight that left a couple of hours after my original flight. The check-in agent took care of that for me and confirmed me on my desired flight.

He issued my BP and lounge invite before pointing me to security. The security line was huge. I had a quick look for a priority line but could not find one. I joined the back of the queue and was impressed with how quickly it was moving. Having cleared the security, I made straight for the BA lounge not being too bothered about the lack of time that I’d get in there.

I was greeted at the desk and led into the First Class section of the lounge. This was a small rectangular room that brought back memories of the First Class lounge at Tel Aviv. I sat at the bar and had a glass of Champagne (Pommery) and enjoyed the view of our 747-400 waiting outside.

Twenty minutes later we were called for boarding which is done directly from the lounge. I very much liked the look of the cabin and realised how much of a good job Cathay had done in creating privacy without the useof a sliding door. I was offered, and took, a glass of Krug. I thought that I had read of Flyertalk about the withdrawal of this on US flights! Anyway, I was delighted to see it although it must be noted that it was not advertised on the wine list! Shanghai Tang PJs and Bally amenity kits were distributed along with the wine list and menu.

Lunch Menu

Caviar, Smoked Salmon & Champagne
Caviar and fine smoked salmon with Amour de Deutz, Blanc de blanc 99

Starters
Mushroom cream soup

Heart of romaine with crispy prosciutto and Caesar dressing

Main Courses
Braised lamb shank with fava beans and garlic mashed red skin potatoes

Spinach ricotta ravioli with balsamic tomato ragout and arugula

Chinese Favourites

Double boiled Chinese ginseng and lean pork soup

Cold plate – marinated bean curd with long bean and mushrooms

Sea bass with enoki mushroom roll and black bean sauce
Or
Braised chicken and abalone with oyster sauce

Served with steamed rice and vegetables

Cheese and Dessert

Cambozola, Yellow Cheddar, Munster, Herb Goat Cheese

Fresh seasonal berries with sweet rose water

Crème caramel

Devil’s food cake with vanilla ice cream and raspberry coulis

Red bean soup with lotus seeds

Tea and Coffee

Pralines and Cookies

Dinner Menu

Starter
Fresh seasonal fruit

Main Courses
Chicken breast with puy lentils and ricotta, wax and green beans, steamed parsley potatoes

Abalone and black mushroom congee with spring onion pancake

Chinese Favourites
Stir-fried prawns and scallop with tangerine peel, steamed jasmine rice, kalian and carrots

Dessert
Mandarin Orange mousse cake with berry compote

Tea and Coffee

Pralines and Cookies

Wine List

Champagne
Champagne Amour De Deutz, Blanc de blanc 1999

White wines
Cavaison Estate Selection Chardonnay Napa Valley Carneros 2004
Bouchard Père & Fils Meursault Les Clous 2005

Red Wines
Possums Vineyard McLaren Vale Shiraz 2004
Felipe Rutini Reserve Malbec 2006
Château Lynch Bages 2001

Port
Ramos Pinto Qunita da Evramoira 10 year old Tawny Port

I again decided to delay my meal, I’d take the caviar and smoked salmon immediately though, go sleep and then have my lunch later on. The FA made my bed while I changed in the lavatory. I jumped in bed and set about catching up on some much needed sleep after staying up all night in Vegas.

I awoke 4 hours later and asked for the FA to prepare my lunch.

I thought that the Cathay First seat was very private and offered plenty of length and width. I prefer to sleep face down and was able to do this without my feet touching the end of the bed (a pet hate of mine). I was able to sleep well. It has to be said though, that the second time that I tried to sleep I couldn’t as there seemed to be a part of the seat running across the width protruding and digging into my ribs. Perhaps the first time, I was so tired that I just did not notice it.

When dinner was served, I was not feeling particularly hungry. I took the fruit salad but informed the FA that I did not feel like a full meal. She returned after the main course service, waving the dessert under my nose (metaphorically speaking) saying that I may want to take a look at the dessert before turning it away. She was right - it did look good. To be fair, it also tasted good!!!

The flight seemed the quickest ‘long’ flight of my life. I enjoyed it so much that I was genuinely disappointed to have to disembark.

Having a couple of hours free time until I was to meet up with my wife at the hotel, I decided to freshen up and check out the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair arrivals lounge 'The Arrival'.

It was smaller than I was expecting at the home base of two carriers but nonetheless certainly did the job. There was a general seating area, a mixture of PCs and Apple computers, shower facilities and a dining area.

Last edited by TEX277; Aug 10, 2009 at 2:33 am