FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tesco and BA [2009 archive]
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:50 am
ajamieson

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Threatened with arrest at Tesco

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I also had some problems getting the points with the champagne, but as I never accept that old line, I asked the person, politely, to credit the points in accordance with the shelf sticker - which was now in his hands - or refund my credit card.

I was successful, but why does Tesco force its customers to go through this hassle?
Hassle is just the start. I was last night threatened with arrest at Tesco after its refusal to honour offers took a rather sinister twist.

I needed to fix two things: first, the missing 2 x 800 points that the store had fobbed me off about with nonsense two days ago (see above) and, second, to fix an offer where you got various spirits for £10 if you spent over £30 instore (my chosen item was incorrectly charged at full price of £14.09).

The young lad tried hard to fix the 800 points but various supervisors and duty managers insisted the promotion had never existed and that I would never be getting any points. The label had gone from the shelf, so I had no evidence except the original scrawl on my receipt from one of their colleagues authorising the credit after two days. They refused, stating the member of staff could not be identified from the receipt. Very odd, that.

Duty manager also refused the other offer, saying I hadn't spent £30 (I had spent £106, as per the receipt) and then saying I should have spent £30 on groceries (I had spent £86, as per the receipt) and then saying I should have spent £30 on food only. I went to the aisle and returned with the shelf barker that clearly said "spend £30 instore" with no mention of food but she still refused and said I would have to make a complaint to head office. In light of the sinister attempts to wriggle out of the 800 points offer (which "never existed") I said I would the take shelf barker as evidence, at which point she had me surrounded by security and said the police would be on their way to arrest me for theft. I took a picture of the label instead but she said "photography isn't allowed". I'm prepared to spend the night in cells at many locations where mankind struggles against oppression and ignorance but the Leytonstone branch of Tesco isn't one them so I said I would hand the shelf label back if she returned the £4.09 she clearly owed me. After more refusals she eventually relented and I made the long walk to freedom through the car park.

Still no 1600 points, though. This will be an interesting discussion with Tesco...

For anyone still wanting some points, the Tesco Metro south of Victoria station is selling Leopard's Leap Lookout S African chenin blanc with 100 extra points for £4.99 a bottle. It has a tolerable taste, there's plenty left, and the points post correctly at the till