FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "How to Transport Frozen Fish/Game as Checked Luggage" Thread [Merged]
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyinHawaiian
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's an older post I made on the topic:

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I go salmon fishing every year up in BC and bring back my salmon in a waxed box, although I've used a Coleman or Igloo cooler in the past.

I field dress the salmon and wrap them in plastic or use a FoodSaver if I have the time.

The trick is to freeze the catch as much as possible, keep as much ice on it up until you leave for the airport, and then empty the majority of the loose ice out and throw a few "blue ice" bags in. Now that UAL's going to be a stickler on weight (50 lbs., right?) you shouldn't over pack loose ice.

I carry good strapping tape and once I clear security, I tape up the cooler real good and try to seal around the lid.

I've found the 48 quart coolers are a good size. I like the fact that the Coleman's have molded handles. On my Igloos, I always have to tape the loose handles down, as well as the drain spout and lid latch. There is an Igloo that has a pull handle and wheels that I've been tempted to use like a roll-on, but I abuse my gear too much - I doubt it would last a few trips.