FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "How to Transport Frozen Fish/Game as Checked Luggage" Thread [Merged]
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:39 am
MBS MillionMiler
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
...I went on a fishing trip in Alaska and on the way home I flew on AS Ketchikan to SEA and then connected to UA SEA-DEN. I had a large cardboard box of vacuum sealed frozen fish packed by the lodge I stayed at and there was dry ice in the box to keep it cold. The fish was interlined from AS to UA at SEA.
I did the EXACT same thing about 5 years ago! Ketchikan - SEA on AS, then on UA...My fish was packed in one of those disposable coolers, but no dry ice, rather several gel packs. Since my fish wasn't frozen yet (they were heavily vacuum-packed), keeping it cold on the journey home was sufficient...I threw it in the freezer right when I got home and enjoyed it for months to come.

If the OP thinks there will be a $175 charge, you might want to consider gel packs instead.

(What an experience mine was--I went up to KTN for a business meeting, my customer's friend is a boat captain, he didn't have anyone booked the afternoon I was leaving, and they took me out for the afternoon when we were done meeting--I brought home like 30 lbs of salmon and all it cost me was $1-something a pound to get it processed. I really need to get up and see this customer again! ).

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Jul 31, 2009 at 7:50 am