FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "How to Transport Frozen Fish/Game as Checked Luggage" Thread [Merged]
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:40 pm
FlyingNone

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by lilib
I am flying out from a fishing trip August 6 from Redmond, OR to Wichita,KS and need to take frozen, vacumn-packed fish with me. An info available on how to best handle this? I am considering a Coleman cooler with frozen blue ice packs or dry ice. I have not found anyone at United who has a definite answer yet.
================================================== ======
Well I'll take a stab at it, if you'll forgive the pun !.......All kidding aside I worked 12 years in cargo for United and it is best to pack in a box specifically for (and marked for) fish. Coolers can be risky and possibly denied because any substance subject to "dripping" (ice) and fish brine can damage a cargo compartment.
Fastair is correct - dry ice should not exceed 2.5 kg (about 5 lbs). You should definitely declare contents and type of cooling because a package with dry ice cannot be within a certain distance of pets in the cargo hold. Pets can be in the same cargo pit but there has to be a specific separation from the dry ice product. Hope this is helpful. I do get passengers on a regular basis shipping "wet" fish and many times they put it in unacceptable containers and have to be refused or rebooked after correct packing is done.