FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Louisville: The Brown, 21C or elsewhere?
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:04 am
monitor
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It has become a good town for restaurant dining since it was only 25 years ago that there was no such thing as a good restaurant meal to be had there or anywhere in the vicinity. I have been going in there every month for nearly thirty years and do get to most of the places.

My favorite is 610 Magnolia with Jack Fry's second. I do like Asiatique and also Vincenzos is a very good Italian while Blu at the downtown Marriott is OK but nothing truly outstanding. I have tried Proof on Main once and was not overly impressed and Seviche is new to me. You might investigate Cafe Metro and also Z's which is out in Hurstborne.

There also are some decent very casual local non-chain places scattered around, particularly to be found on Frankfort Avenue. Among these, one of those that I do like is the Bristol (which has a couple of locations) simply because of a small but carefully chosen wine list and excellent bar food such as burgers and fish sandwiches (skip most of the main dishes). The same goes for BBQ, my favorite being Bootleg on Preston St near the Outer Loop in Okolona.

610 Magnolia is only open on the weekends, starting Thursday, and it is best, if possible, to dine outside in the rear courtyard, which is my favorite spot.

And always remember that In Lou, at a reputable place, you can always order the fish. Ever since UPS put its hub in, that town is among those in the interior that receives the freshest and most varied seafood. We believe that (in addition to the availability of very good local farm products) was one of the reasons for the restaurant renaissance since good chefs tend to like to work where they can get good ingredients.