FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:32 pm
Eryeal

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
One night stay at Hilton Trianon Palace in Versailles

Just stayed one night at Versailles .. As a Diamond, had an upgraded room in the Palace with an attached living room (seperate room attached via door - not normally included in room). Room was huge, bathroom huge - large soaking tub and large shower, living room huge. Location to the chateau and town is great. Even though I have the choices marked in My Way, they still asked me what I wanted. The welcome gift is a free drink at the bar, and a very nice chocolate assortment from the Gordon Ramsay restaurant in your room.

On the negative side: no breakfast (also no lounge at this hotel as noted) - also tried talking to the manager about it and it was still a no-go. I still find it amazing at some of the "small" things that go missing at such nice (expensive) hotels ("palaces") as this. No hairdryer .. no alarm clock. Yes, I realize you have the alarm option on the TV - but I can't remember the last hotel I stayed at (if ever) where an alarm clock was completely missing in the entire room. Lacking a hairdryer was also very shocking - I guess they really, really want you to pay and go to the spa/salon every day. But, at least for me, this leaves me with a negative impression. Sure you can get one by calling down to the front desk, but to me this just isn't right, especially in an extremely expensive hotel/palace. Also they asked me for my choice of newspaper in the morning, and then delivered the opposite one. Again - a small detail, but when staying in a property such as this, these details are even more magnified. A/C didn't work in main room, but worked in separate living room so it ended up being OK. If it were hotter and the attached upgraded living room not included, it would have been uncomfortable. Breakfast buffet was 38 Euros each - so basically a $50 per person breakfast which we made the mistake of getting because I thought it would be really nice. It was a very small buffet - two hot items and assorted other small items (in comparison, about 1/2 the size of the FREE breakfast at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe in Paris), which makes it even more puzzling why they no longer include this benefit for Diamonds/Golds. Way overpriced, and way unimpressive.

Wired internet had no subscription options available, and was 25 Euros a day - luckily they had Orange Wireless available, and with a subscription to Boingo which I already had, worked flawlessly and fast.

Staff was friendly, concierge was also friendly and gave good suggestions and directions.

I have to give this 3.5 stars out of 5. Judged very strictly due to price and nature of hotel.